Monday 29 November 2010

Sambrooks - Powerhouse Porter


4.9% ABV

It was rather cold with a stiff breeze on Sunday so my partner and I headed to the Harp in Covent Garden to warm up before going off seasonal shopping. Didn’t see the Thornstar beer on pump which we were there but there was a rather nice mild from Crouch Vale and the newest of the Sambrook beers.

Just the ticket to warm you up on a cold winter’s day, strangely it was only a few months ago that we were discussing Sambrooks and were in agreement they needed a darker beer to complete a triad of good beers. It was great to see they had brewed a rather attractive looking and tasting porter.

This was an enjoyable pint, admittedly my husband’s pint but in marriage you share everything. Tang-wise I can usually always pinpoint certain breweries by some part of their taste, for me Sambrooks has a metallic tang. I assume this must be something to do with the water they use or something in the brewing style as Fullers always has a marmalade tang and McMullen’s a dried herby taste. All enjoyable but sound slightly weird when describing.

Looking forward to what they brew next now.

4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed their Junction, Wandle and Mild but the Porter sounds like the best yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very nice, especially on such a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In marriage you share everything."

    I've never been married, but the depleted state of my record collection after some relationships have ended suggests that sharing can be a one-way street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's yours is mine and what's mine is also mine.

    Is the saying unfortunately, but I don't subscribe to that. I prefer keeping our stuff separate but beer poaching is fully allowable I feel. :)

    ReplyDelete